Thursday, October 2, 2014

One Room Challenge: Master Bedroom

Today I am linking up with Calling It Home for the One Room Challenge.


If you have been following along with me for a while, you know that I recently painted the trim in our master bedroom.  It used to be super dark wood, and I painted it white.  It was a big project that made a huge impact on that room.  It has now been 1.5 months since I painted the trim, and that is all that has happened to the master bedroom since then.  I still haven't even done the paint touch ups that need to be done.  So when I heard about the One Room Challenge, I knew I had to sign up.  It's the kick-start I need to get our master bedroom finished.


For those who haven't been around here for a while, the photo on the left is what the room looked like when we bought the house two years ago (Aug.2012).  The photo on the right is after I painted the room (Oct. 2012), stenciled the headboard wall (Sept. 2013), and painted the trim (Aug. 2014).  As you can tell, it has been a slow moving process to get it where it is now, which is why I think this One Room Challenge will help motivate me to get it finished!  Here are some photos of what our bedroom currently looks like:





Here is what I'm hoping to accomplish over the next several weeks with this challenge:
- Touch up paint on walls and trim that need it.
- Caulk trim and wood paneled wall where needed.
- Purchase and hang curtains.
- Replace drawer pulls on dressers.
- Replace handles on closet doors.
- Hang things on the wall/decorate the room.
- De-clutter and organize dressers.
- Get white cord covers for the lamp cords on the headboard.

There are a couple of bigger projects I'd also like to tackle, but I know with being us gone at least two weekends during October, the bigger projects might not happen.  They are:

- Re-do the closet to maximize space.  Right now we just have one rod to hang clothes.  Hopefully something like this will help give us more storage space:
Take a couple of book shelves, and add some rods in between the two of them for an instant closet.
source
- Create a framed mirror jewelry storage box to hang on the wall.  Similar to this:
Mirror w/ Hidden Jewelry Organization
source
I plan to do this makeover/update on a very limited budget, and I'll share my expenses and finds with you throughout the process.  I really want to get this room done, but don't want to break the bank doing it.

I'm going to do a weekly post about this challenge, to update on my progress.  I'm excited for these next several weeks and can't wait to see everyone else's progress as well!



7 comments:

  1. Looking good! I have been at a stand still with the house too. Everything I want to do costs money!!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great start. That stencil looks so good as a headboard. I look forward to seeing what you do with the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I can't wait to see your progress over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a difference you already made when you painted & stenciled the headboard wall! Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a difference the white made! I have a true love affair with white and use it as much as humanly possible. can't wait to see what becomes of this space in 6 weeks, so much character to work with here! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the headboard! Can't wait to see the rest of your updates. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete