Tuesday, December 20, 2016

12 in 12

In 2016, I ran 12 races. It wasn't a goal of mine when I started the year, but around August, I realized it was going to happen and I was kind of proud of it. And even though I titled this post "12 in 12" it was actually 12 races in 10 months. 

7: 5ks (3.1 miles)
1: Marathon Relay (5 miles)
2: 10ks (6.2 miles)
1: 10 Miler
1: Half Marathon (13.1 miles)

When I started running about four years ago, I never even dreamt about running a half-marathon. Three miles was more than enough for me. But once I reached my time goal for my 5k (under 30 minutes), I decided to try a 10k. And then I thought it wasn't so bad, so I tried the 10 mile race. And then I figured what the heck, what's three more miles? And I did it. I ran 13.1 miles. Sometimes I still can't believe I was able to do it. I'm definitely not fast, but that isn't my goal. My goal is just to get out there and do it.

source

So what's next? Well, I might be losing my mind, but I am planning to run a marathon in 2017! 26.2 miles. I can't even comprehend that right now. I am signed up for a half-marathon in April, and a 25k (15.5 miles) in May, so I'm preparing for an October marathon. 

But do you know the best part? Kevin (my husband) is going to run it with me! As much as I never thought I'd attempt it, I never x100 thought Kevin would. He never understood why I ran or did races, but now that he's been running, I think he's getting addicted too. And I'm not mad about it.

As of right now, my only goal is to finish. As I train, I hope to come up with a time goal to try and beat. Wish me luck! And if you have any tips for a first-time marathoner, send 'em my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment