Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kitchen Update: Grout & Backsplash

I've checked a few things off of the list I created in my original kitchen post HERE.  I wish I would have had more done by now, but life happens!  Finishing the grout and backsplash was so super easy, I wish I would have done it a lot sooner!

There were some spots that the previous owners had not finished grouting for some reason.  It was all of the edges, which just left it looking unfinished.  They had left behind some grout, so we decided to give it a try.  The grout was super easy to use and I would definitely buy this kind again.


This kind is from Menards, but I think any premixed grout would work the same.  It's perfect because you don't have to mix anything.  You just open the lid and start using it.  You just put some on your fingers and apply where needed.  Could not be any easier.  And then you can put the lid back on and it stays sealed so you can use it again later--perfect for little jobs this like!



There were a couple of spots in the kitchen were it looked like a piece of tile backsplash was missing on each side of the window.  The previous owners had left some of the extra tile behind, so I was able to have my Dad cut a couple of pieces to fit the empty spots.




With new backsplash piece.
These are small changes, but have made a huge impact for us.  They were little things that just needed to be taken care of.

After looking at these photos, I added a new item to my kitchen list: sand and re-paint the trim around the window.  It's full of chips, scratches, stains, etc. and really needs to be re-done.  Here's my updated list.  Someday it will be complete...it just might take me a year!

Kitchen List
Organize/clean all drawers and cupboards.
De-clutter counter tops.  This is always in progress, but it's getting there.
Create a mini command center near breezeway door.  Again, work in progress.
Clean all trim (repaint if necessary) and caulk.  I cleaned it, just need to repaint some spots, and caulk it.
Clean floors (including grout).
Purchase and install a new faucet.  Need to convince my husband that we should do this...
Paint walls grey.
Re-cover seats on dining chairs to add some color/pattern.
Finish grouting and trimming the back splash.  Grout is done, just need to figure out what to do for trim.
Sand and re-paint the trim around the window.





MaMade Blog Hop MaMade Blog Hop #10

House on the Way

Dolen Diaries

ItsOverflowing

6 comments:

  1. This is looking great! Can't wait to see more updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I love how little things can make such huge impacts. Isn't the to-do list for a house never ending?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what an impact such a small change can make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! I admire all your DIY skills and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress. :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good Ericka! Do you guys still have that much snow?!?! Did/do you have a lot of re-modeling to do in your home?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ericka! I am new to your blog and your newest follower. Isn't it amazing how such a little thing like a dab of grout can finish something off? Makes you wonder why previous owners didn't do it. ????

    Judy

    ReplyDelete