Friday, January 18, 2013

Long Process

It's been just over a year since we started looking for our first house.  It was a long and stressful process, but totally worth it now.  It took eight full months from the time we decided to start looking for a house, to the time we closed on our house.  We put offers on two other houses (that we didn't get) before we found our house.  You can read more about our house hunting process here.

Even though it was a long, almost depressing, eight months of looking for houses with no luck, I think it worked out for the best in the end.  I believe everything happens for a reason, and we couldn't be happier in our house.


We love the neighborhood, the house itself, and having our own yard.  I love that the house didn't need any work before we moved in, but I also love that there are "projects" that we can do to update the house and make it our own.  I love being able to paint the walls and buy stuff for the house.  I even loved raking our OWN yard this fall.


Owning a house is definitely different than renting an apartment.  We have to shovel our driveway, rake our leaves, and mow our lawn.  If an appliance breaks or there is a leak, we have to fix it (or pay someone else to fix it).  There is no calling maintenance to come take care of it.  But you know what?  We love it.  We love being able to say we are home owners.  It makes me feel so "grown up."  I feel like I've accomplished something.  I'm not saying renting is wrong or bad, because we did it for two years, and that was right for us at the time.  Buying a house is not for everyone, and it doesn't happen for everyone at the same time in their lives.

I can't wait to finally unpack the last few boxes, get everything in it's place, and get things hung on the walls.  I can't wait to do more painting and projects in the house this year.  And I can't wait to marry the love of my life on June 29 and start our life as a married couple in our house <3


No comments:

Post a Comment