Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Cookies & Cream Cake Recipe

Over the past month or two, I have been going through my stack of magazines.  When I got to the bottom of the stack, I found a Food Network Magazine that had a bunch of cake recipes in it.  I knew Kevin would love the Cookies-and-Cream Cake recipe, so I ripped it out so I could make it for him for his birthday.


You can find the recipe on the Food Network site HERE, and I've also included it in this post.  This cake did NOT disappoint.  And it was actually really easy to make.  I'm not a good baker by any means, so if I say it's easy, it really is.  I'll be the first to admit that nothing about this cake is healthy, but it tastes soooo good.  It's worth a little "cheat" to have a piece or two.


Ingredients:
For the Frosting
6 ounces white choclate, finely chopped (I used vanilla candy coating)
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar
pinch of salt
For the Cake
Basic Vanilla Cake (boxed mix), baked and cooled
15 chocolate sandwich cookies, chopped

1.  Bake the cake as directed on the box (I used two round cake pans) and allow to fully cool.


2.  Make the frosting:  Microwave the white chocolate as directed.  Beat butter, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.  Add the melted white chocolate and beat until combined.  Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth.


3.  Assemble the cake:  Place 1 cake layer on a platter; spread 1 cup frosting on top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped cookies.  Top with the second cake layer.  Cover the whole cake with the remaining frosting, then press the remaining cookies on to the sides.


4.  Let the frosting set for a little bit, and then enjoy!!


Even though this cake tastes amazing, I'd do a couple things differently next time.  First, I had a ton of frosting left over, so I'd layer the frosting on thicker next time for sure.  Also, I would crush the cookies that go on top of the bottom cake (so they are in the middle of the finished cake) so that they are much smaller.  The top cake didn't sit very evenly, which I think was because I had such large cookies chunks.  

If you check out the pic on the Food Network site, it's much prettier than mine.  But don't let that fool you.  This cake tastes like heaven.

What do you think?  Would you try making this cake?  




Eat Drink & Be Mary

11 comments:

  1. This looks SO yummy!!! I need to make this... STAT!!

    Happy Wednesday, pretty lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good. I want to make it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ericka- this looks delicious! I love to find new recipes like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat the heck out of that cake. I mean, how can you go wrong? Cake + cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so torn between this and the strawberry fudge I just seen... My son loves cookies and cream and this looks amazing! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh this looks amazing! I'm such a sucker for anything cookies & cream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has my name all over it!! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, Hope to see you back on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO GOOD!!! Thanks for linking it up on Twirl & Take a Bow last week. I hope you'll join us again this week!

    - Brooke -

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Looks delicious, recipes with oreos always turn out super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of recipe... If it's sweet, it's perfect! :) I die for Oreos too. Did you see that article that said studies have shown that Oreos are more addictive than cocaine? I can't say I know it from experience, but I do know that I can't eat just one Oreo (or two or three of four....). I'm sure I wouldn't eat just one piece of this cake either. :)
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday! Can't wait to see what goodies you bring to us this week!!

    ReplyDelete