Thursday, June 13, 2013

Saw It, Pinned It, Did It: DIY Wedding Card Box

I hadn't found any card boxes in stores that I really liked, so after seeing all kinds of DIY card boxes on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to make ours myself. I came across this pin and knew it was exactly what I was looking for:


I picked up all of my materials from Hobby Lobby and got to work.  

Supplies:
three different size paper mache boxes
x-acto knife
hot glue gun/glue sticks
paint & foam brushes
ribbon & whatever other accessories you want

Step 1 - Cut holes in your boxes and lids.
In order to get the cards to drop in to the bottom box, you have to cut holes in the bottom of the middle and top boxes, and in all of the lids.  The top lid will just have a slit to insert the cards.


Make sure you leave enough of an "edge" on the bottom of the boxes when you cut the holes, so that there is something to hot glue to the lid below it.  Like this: 


Step 2 - Paint your boxes and lids.
I ended up having to do three coats of paint on my boxes to get the coverage and color that I wanted.  The paint dried really fast, so I did it all in one sitting.  I used foam brushes for this and it worked really well.  I tried using spray paint first, but didn't like the way it looked, so I decided to hand paint them and I love the result.

Step 3 - Add ribbon and accessories. 
I added ribbon to each box.  I just wrapped the ribbon around tightly and hot glued the ribbon to itself, not to the box.  It stayed pretty good on it's own because I made sure it was tight.  I also added some little pearls around the slit on the top of the box.  I want to add some type of flower accessory like in my inspiration pin, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet.



Step 4 - Hot glue boxes together.
Once your box is decorated the way you want, hot glue the boxes to the lids, so that they stay together.  You won't glue the lids to the boxes, so you can still lift the lid off if you need to empty the box or rearrange the cards if they start getting stuck.

Step 5 - Display the beautiful box you just made at your reception and enjoy!
You could also do a variation of this card box for a graduation or bridal/baby shower.


The box was easy to make and wasn't really that time consuming.  I did it all in one sitting and I think it maybe took me 1-2 hours and that's including letting the paint dry.

I love the way it looks, but it just needs something more.  Any ideas of something I could add to finish it off?

-Ericka

**Update:  I found some cute little flowers at Hobby Lobby that I added and here's how it looked when it was finished:




House on the Way

14 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! Your card box came out so good!! This is making me want to plan a wedding.. if only my man would step up his game & put a ring on it ;)


    ...kidding .. well half kidding! I am going to go check our your other wedding posts now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love this link up because of all this super cool things you find - LIKE THIS! :) So cute, so glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute card box. You could add silver stenciled curly cues or something to the sides or the words to your favorite poem, or just baby's breath and flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally perfect in every way! Great job girly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome!!! Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how it turned out! I think it's perfect as is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute box, maybe you can find a really cute monogrammed letter of your soon to be new last name and place it in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! We eloped, but I might keep this in mind for a possible anniversary party in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What color paint did u use

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a great idea! That paint is gorgeous too!.Thanks so much for linking up to http://arttisbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/10/twirl-and-take-bow-link-party.html
    Have a BEAUTIFUL day,
    Hugs
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job on your card box. I like it better then the one you pinned. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

    xoxo
    Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you did such a great job! I can't believe it only took a couple of hours! I agree with Denyse, I like it better than the one you pinned! Thanks for writing out the steps, too!

    ReplyDelete